margin-top:25px

Humor Times blog - by James Israel

I publish a monthly paper called the Humor Times, available via subscription anywhere in the world. This blog allows me to comment in a more timely manner on current events, etc., since, after all, I have plenty to say!

Sunday, March 08, 2009

He's B-A-A-A-C-K!

Yes, I'm back. And blogging once again. Sorry for the long absence... I get lazy sometimes, I admit it. If anyone is out there reading this, leave a comment now and then -- if I know you're out there, I'll be more inspired to write!

I am not an Oprah watcher, although I have nothing against her -- she's done some good things with her fame, so good on her. This clip from her show came to my attention recently, and I wanted to share it.

It's about the 'tent cities' springing up everywhere, this one is in Sacramento. I rode by it recently on my bike, it's MUCH bigger than these filming angles show. I saw what looked like hundreds of tents. A few months ago, there were only a handful.

Lisa Ling, a former Sacramentan, does this report, and her interviews are heartbreaking, but worth watching, as I think we tend to "other-ize" the homeless -- that is, think of them as a different sort of people. Most of those living in this growing tent city had lost jobs recently, and their homes. They're just like you and me.

http://www.oprah.com/media/20090218_tows_tent-city

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At May 22, 2009 2:58 PM , Anonymous betty said...

    what i fear now is a social revolt of the disenfranchised. when you are desperate and trying to survive, you may do something that you wouldn't normally do in better circumstances.

    don't look to the cities for help either as their revenues are drying up and all social programs are being cut.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home