margin-top:25px

Humor Times blog - by James Israel

I publish a monthly paper called the Humor Times, available via subscription anywhere in the world. This blog allows me to comment in a more timely manner on current events, etc., since, after all, I have plenty to say!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

You wanted an administration that listens, right?

I guess this comes under the heading of "Careful what you wish for"! Our government is listening, alright, but not to find out what we want from them. Instead, they're listening to our phone conversations, and apparently logging all our calls -- unless your phone company is Qwest, that is. I imagine they are seeing a surge in business, as Americans who are not fond of being spied on look to switch to the only phone company with a little backbone. Could be a good investment tip! (Maybe I should start a new financial advice blog!)

Of course, the normally disinterested MSM (mainstream media), which in the last few decades has decided the people's interest is not really their own (but corporate profits are), may finally take some real interest, with the latest developments. It seems the FBI acknowledged late Monday that it is seeking reporters' phone records in leak investigations. ABC reported that a senior federal official stated, "It used to be very hard and complicated to do this, but it no longer is in the Bush administration." I'll bet.

In fact, a lot of things are easier with this administration. Not anything that would actually help the average citizen, mind you. But such things as torture, holding prisoners without charging them or giving them any recourse to due process, getting lucrative war contracts that can be manipulated for the greatest profit at taxpayer expense, polluting without fear of reprisal, treasonous acts like outing CIA operatives, and of course, tapping American's phones, have gotten a whole lot easier under G.W. Bush. In other words, profit and power mongers have found it much easier to do un-American things under this supposedly "patriotic" president, with the help of his lapdog Congress, and a corporate media that has failed to alert the people to the illegal activities of their government. (Of course, they do eventually report on stuff that becomes impossible to ignore, when they must.)

Maybe -- just maybe -- the sleepy MSM giant will begin to stir, when it realizes that it, too, is caught up in the government dragnet. Then again, since their fortunes seem to be tied up with the corrupt government's, maybe they just don't care. After all, they're all on the same team, it seems.

1 Comments:

  • At May 16, 2006 3:37 PM , Blogger W.E.T. River Trips - raftWET.com said...

    I hate to say this, but for the first time in my entire life, I am actually afraid of my government. My poor dad, rest his soul, is rolling in his grave after a life of military service for this country. He fought in WW2, Korean War and died during the Vietnam era. I grew up believing that this country was the greatest country in the world. And now, even after surviving the cruel events during the Vietnam war such as Kent State and the Berkeley riots, I have never felt like this.

    In the past, I have always felt that our Constitution and the great minds of our country would protect us lowly citizens. I fear that those checks and balances are no longer there. I am afraid... really afraid. And maybe this comment, will be tracked down and maybe I may disappear next... ack!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home